Pages

Wednesday 8 June 2016

Oh no, my apple crumble has now transformed into an apple pie!

Making apple crumble!
On Friday 3rd of June, I had a great time making some apple crumble (well sort of an apple crumble).
My mum was supervising me in using the knife that I used in cutting the three apples for my crumble. I was pretty scared  at first that I might cut my fingers because it was a bit sharp.  I carefully cut and cored the royal gala apples. Then I chopped them up into various shapes. I discarded the core because I did not like seeds in my crumble. My mother thought that I wasted the apples because of the way I peeled them.

After that, I threw the cut up apples in a heavy saucepan and put it on medium heat. I used a small stick to prod the apples to see if they’re mushy. I almost forgot to add water and sugar! The stewed apples created a pleasant aroma that taunted us and made us all hungry already. I mixed sugar, flour and some butter (that I softened in the microwave) and started to mix them together. The dough was challenging because it was as hard as a clay.  It was my mistake because I prepared it before stewing the apples which made the butter hard again so I decided to break it into pieces of different shapes and sizes.

Next I asked my mum where to find an ovenproof tray to put my apple crumble mixture in then I placed it in the oven to bake.  We couldn’t find the right tray so we just used our pizza tray with some tin foil on it. We timed it for 30 minutes to bake. It wasn’t my idea to place the dish into our compact oven. My mum decided to bake it there  because she said that it will give the same result. It turned out to be wrong.



As I was washing the dishes, I kept looking at the crumble to see if it was baking well. Then I realised that I actually forgot to add the rest of the sugar so I sprinkled it on top of my crumble. Slowly, my crumble started to look odd because it did not look crumbly  now, it looked like an apple pie using shortbread dough that were stuck together. The timer beeped so I took it out. It wasn’t that hot or cold, it was just right. My mum and I both took a spoon and scooped the apple crumble. It was the 'best' dessert with apples I’ve ever tasted! Except it was a bit burnt! But we just I truly enjoyed baking my  apple crumble that turned into an apple pie but I did not mind because it was still scrumptious and deliciously yummy.

Making apple crumble was wonderful! I wish that I did not over baked it that’s why it got burnt. My favorite part was eating it because it really did taste like an apple pie! :D
Learning intention: We are learning to understand and use descriptive language in my weekend recount.
 Success criteria: I know I can do this when I use metaphors and similes in my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment